Saturday 9 May 2009

A few week's worth of blogging...

Hello everyone,

so tonight I am going to be blogging about last week (May 1 + 2) and this week (May 8), because I have been a wuss and have neglected to blog for a while...I'm blaming it on my final exams and the beginning of summer school. :P

Friday May 1: TEEN BOYS MOVIE NIGHT!!!
Man it was awesome. Alan, Mitch, Jeffrey, Dante, Josh were all super excited when Steve and I arrived. So we quickly had some delicious dinner and had to get going fast because we had to make the 6:30 showing of WOLVERINE at richmond SILVERCITY! (Too bad you were sick Malcolm!!) Transport was directed by Will, who served as our bus driver, and with all the boys buckled into place, we set off. We arrived well ahead of time and got great seats in the theatre. Dante took the longest getting settled because he went and bought some popcorn and pop with Steve first. The movie was soo good! I hadn't watched any of the other X-men movies before...so I guess it was a good place to start because it talked about the beginning of Wolverine. I must watch the other ones! The boys thoroughly enjoyed themselves, so much that on the bus back to CP they were noticeably more hyper than before and made funny noises and talked about really silly things (mostly Alan and Mitch, ahha)

Saturday May 2: TEEN BOYS EDUCATIONAL MINGLE!
So on Friday May 1 a very worried Leanne came to me and asked me to attend the mingle that the teen boys were organizing on Saturday. Leanne was so worried because she had no idea if anybody RSVPed to come, and she couldn't check because the list was on Sara's account and Sara was on sick leave! So I did go, and it was amazing! All 5 teen boys presented something special to us; Jeffrey addressed the issue of age appropriate activities, Josh lead a song guessing game, Dante presented a list of all fun walkable places around Canuck Place, Mitch showed us how to work his camera, wheelchair, and the bus-wheelchair hook, and Alan taught us how to go onto the internet on the PS3. It was really interesting learning about the things that each boy valued, and many things that they talked about will really help us volunteers in improving ourselves to be better volunteers. Jeffrey and Dante even printed handouts for us! It was so great.

Friday May 8: Quiet Night
Last night was a pretty calm night. I went a bit early and found Allon and Mike(PCA) with Kenneth in the school room. Then I found two little girls in Grandma's Attic playing Barbie! I got really excited and asked if I could join them - I hadn't played with Barbies in ages! So these two little girls are siblings of a baby patient, and their names are Cassy(8yrs) and Ava(5yrs). Then we went downstairs for dinner, where we saw Tony, Jen, and nurses, parents, and more kids : Corrine and Madeleine. After dinner Cassy, Ava, and I went back upstairs to play with more Barbie while Jen hung out with Corrine on the computer. Later, Cassy, Ava, and I went outside for a bit and bumped into their Dad and older brother, Evan. Us girls played a bit of house, swung on the swings, spun on the red-blue-merry-go-round, and even biked around the house a few times! Ava still needed training wheels, but when I asked Cassy if she needed them, she replied very matter-of-factedly "I'm waaayy past that stage!" Afterwards the girls had to go in for a bath and they said thank you to me (so sweet!) and I went to look for Jen. It turns out that Corrine was tired and already went to bed, so we went upstairs to relieve Tony of Kenneth so that he could go home to sleep (work at 5am!!)Kenneth was content just to play with a few video games, and around 8:15 it was time for him to go shower. With no more kids in need of entertainment, Jen and I were free to go home. =)

2 comments:

Joan said...

wow that was long. :P

jen Stel Sebastian Bentley Isabelle said...

wow, you guys are just awsome!!

The Blog

My name is Malcolm and I was a volunteer at Canuck Place Children's Hospice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for nearly seven years. Now I support them by raising money by participating in the Canuck Place Adventure Challenges!


I said hospice. Not really a word that you associate with children but there you go. We will tell you about the house as this blog progresses with the hope that you will learn, and as you learn we hope that you will share. The purpose of the Adventure Challenge is to raise money for AND awareness about Canuck Place.

The name of each kid at the house you read about has been changed.

September 14th and 15th are the dates for the next Adventure Challenges.

You can sponsor me for the race here: Adventure Challenge
Maybe you should do the race?

Names:

Just a quick note about the names of the kids in the house that you will read about: they are made up!