Wednesday 1 April 2009

Justin helps even more

Justin asked me if he could help me raise money the other day. " Of course!" says I.
We are in a study block and he sends me this email. It is rather difficult not tear up while I am reading this:

Hi everybody,

My teacher, Malcolm Chrystal, has been volunteering at Canuck Place for almost five years. He works there as a family volunteer, his job entailing spending time with the children and making their stay enjoyable.

For those of you who don't know, Canuck Place is a children's hospice. It basically is a form of palliative care for young children…yet it is so much more than that. When I was five years old, my late sister Tamryn was in the program at Canuck Place, having been diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease. The hospice did everything they could to make her comfortable…and more. I remember the grief therapy groups my parents attended at Canuck Place, who understood the importance of helping the families as well. There were even groups for siblings, where we would learn how to handle the grief and also try to keep us happy during very sad times.

This year, Mr. Chrystal is participating in Canuck Place's Adventure Challenge, covering a distance of 46 kilometres by kayak, bike, and foot. He is collecting pledges for the challenge, with a goal of $2000 in mind. All the money goes directly to Canuck Place, as good a cause as any. Please support Malcolm by following these links and donating. Then, pass the email along to friends and family.

Malcolm's blog:
http://canuckplaceadventurechallenge.blogspot.com/

Pledge for Malcolm:
https://payment.csfm.com/events/canuck_place/event_pledge/index.php?action=inputinfo&participant_id=161030891177650194

Canuck Place Adventure Challenge Site:
http://www.adventurechallenge.ca/

Canuck Place Children's Hospice:
http://www.canuckplace.org/

Thank you Justin.

No comments:

The Blog

My name is Malcolm and I was a volunteer at Canuck Place Children's Hospice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada for nearly seven years. Now I support them by raising money by participating in the Canuck Place Adventure Challenges!


I said hospice. Not really a word that you associate with children but there you go. We will tell you about the house as this blog progresses with the hope that you will learn, and as you learn we hope that you will share. The purpose of the Adventure Challenge is to raise money for AND awareness about Canuck Place.

The name of each kid at the house you read about has been changed.

September 14th and 15th are the dates for the next Adventure Challenges.

You can sponsor me for the race here: Adventure Challenge
Maybe you should do the race?

Names:

Just a quick note about the names of the kids in the house that you will read about: they are made up!